- helves can be more suitable for larger pieces that take up more than half the diameter of the kiln because there is no gap.
KS1226H 26 x 3/4 Round Half Shelf
Kiln Shelves can be round, multi-sided, square or rectangle. Round and multi-sided shelves are usually available in what is called “half-shelves”. Half shelves are exactly what they sound like, they are half of a full shelf. People like them for several reasons.
· Provide a path for convection in the center of the kiln.
· Half the weight of a full shelf therefore easier on the back to load in the kiln.
· More flexibility in loading your kiln.
· Less likely to warp or crack than full shelves.
· Full Shelves can be more suitable for larger pieces that take up more than half the diameter of the kiln because there is no gap.
The thickness of the shelf can determine whether or not it can withstand high temperatures without warping. This is usually only an issue if you are working with a large kiln such as a 1227. Since the KM1227-3PK is rated to cone 10 we only recommend 1″ thick half shelves. For kilns designed more for low fire applications it is ok to use a 5/8″ thick shelf which will be lighter.
The quantity you will need will be based on the height of your kiln, the height of the pieces you are putting in your kiln and weather you are using full shelves or half shelves. When you are contemplating how many layers of shelves you want to have on hand, remember, it is always a good idea to have at least 1 element radiating between each layer. If you have a glass kiln with elements radiating down from the lid, you can only fire on one layer because the top shelf will block the radiant heat to the layers below.