Copper Metallic - 2 oz
- Brand: Mayco Colors
- Product Code: MM-102 - 2 oz
- Availability: In Stock
MM-102 Copper Metallic (2 ounce) by Mayco Colors.
Magic Metallics™ are water-based acrylics that contain ground metal particles. When dry the surface will appear and feel like a metal surface. Magic Metallics™ can be applied to almost any paintable surface: glass, wood, fabric, Styrofoam, paper, ceramic, etc. Magic Metallics™ is NOT a faux painting process but an actual layering of metal particles on a craft surface.
- Shake well before use. The metal particles will settle to the bottom - frequent shaking is necessary.
- The surface should be completely clean, dry and free from dust. The inside of hollow objects should be sealed prior to the application of the metals.
- Apply a basecoat of the metallic finish. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat.
- If your desire a patina or rust (steel only) finish apply the appropriate solution while the second coat is still wet and slightly tacky. You can use a brush, sponge or spritzer bottle to apply oxidizing liquids. As the solution dries, the Patina will develop.
- Once the desired effect is achieved remove excess moisture with a paper towel, hair dryer, fan, etc. The metals will continue to oxidize as long as they are exposed to water or oxidizing liquids.
- Seal with Matte Sealer to prevent further oxidation.
- The metallic finishes can be mixed to create an endless variety of metallic colors; Magic Metallics can also be mixed with acrylic paint.
- Factors that can influence the final surface include
- the use of a base color beneath the Magic Metallic
- the length of time the product is allowed to process before it is neutralized or dried
- the temperature and humidity
- Sealing the inside of porous craft surfaces will prevent continued oxidation. For example, ceramic bisque is porous and water can seep through the inside to affect the metal on the outside.
- Apply metal colors with a soft brush, sponge or rag. It is a good idea to dedicate a brush for the applications of the metals as metals residue could contaminate other products.
- Two coats of the Metallics are needed for adequate coverage. The first coat should be dry before the second coat is applied. While the second coat of metal is still damp or tacky the Patinas are applied. (The Dark Bronze, however, can be completely dry and still react to the Patinas.) Steel requires heavy coats for good rusting to take place, so an extra “padding” of color is suggested.
- Steel does not react with the Aqua Blue Patina. Steel will react with the Rapid Rust or Verde Green or Green Patina.
- Applying one coat of Steel over another metallic and applying the Patina creates a two-tone effect of colors.
- The Patinas may be applied with a brush, sponge or by spraying using the spritzer nozzle. The spritzer nozzle fits easily onto the Patina bottles. A little goes a long way! More can always be added later.
- The Patinas and Rust oxidizing mediums are almost clear in appearance. Several colors of Patinas can be applied to the same piece at the same time.
- Create designs by applying the patinas using brush strokes.
- Once the Patina or Rapid Rust has oxidized on the metal, a sealer is applied to stop the process. Sometimes it’s better to stop the process before it goes to the extreme oxidation or rusting of the metals.
- Several areas may be completed independently of each other to create separate areas on the same piece. Different areas can be added over other sealed areas of metals to create multiple layers of oxidation and colors.
- If too much Patina has developed, it can be removed slightly using a clean soft cloth or a dampened green grit pad to remove some of the Patina.
- An antique effect can be achieved by taking a dry cloth and remove some of the Patina on the highlights on the piece.
- The Patinas or Rapid Rust will oxidize metal objects, such as metal shelving or tables. Use care when spraying.
- All products are water-soluble and water clean up. Use AC-525 Brush Cleaner and water to clean all brushes.
- Use a soft hair brush for the application of the sealer. Apply 3-4 thin coats of Sealer.
- Product Features, Benefits and Application Recommendations:
For smooth coverage, two lighter coats are better than one heavy coat.
Either a synthetic or natural hair brush can be used for application.
Dazzling Metallics® can be intermixed with any water-based product for interesting effects. The appearance of different metals can be simulated using one of the metallics antiqued with a translucent stain.
Porcelain Mist Spray Sealer is not recommended as a final sealer for the metallics, as it will dull the surface.
Do not fire.